The Competition at a Glance
The Easton Beer Fest is pleased to announce our Home Brew Competition as part of Easton Beer Fest! This competition is an AHA/BJCP sanctioned event; beers judged will reflect the categories described by the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP), available at bjcp.org. Mead or cider entries WILL NOT be accepted.
Bring your entries (3 bottles of beer per entry), labeled according to the rules, to a drop-off location before September 16, 2017 to be considered for judging at Easton Beer Fest!
$10 Per Entry – All entry fees are donated to the Easton Volunteer Fire Department. Please include cash for each entry upon submission at a drop-off point (place in a sealed envelope rubber banded to a bottle).
2017 Easton Beer Festival Home Brew Competition Categories
Homebrewers must enter their beers using the standard BJCP categories, designating the category and sub category entered by the appropriate numbers and letters. All Entries will be scored according to BJCP style and points system. For competition purposes the organizers will group all entries into these nine competition categories and award winners accordingly. This is based on the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines, please consult this chart to determine your beers style category.
- IPA: 12C, 21, 22A
- Pale Ale: 11,18B, 24B
- Lager: 1A/B, 2, 3, 4, 5C/D, 6, 7A, 8, 9A/B
- Amber/Brown Ale: 7B/C, 13, 14, 15A, 19
- Wheat Beer: 1D, 10, 22D, 24A
- Porter/Stout: 9C, 15B/C, 16, 20
- Blonde Ale: 1C, 5B, 12A/B, 18A
- Specialty beer: 5A, 17, 22B/C, 23, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
- Belgian Ale: 24C, 25, 26
These categories are Subject to Change dependent upon competition turn out. If any changes take place the organizers will make public the changes.
Beers in these collapsed categories will be judged together, and the final result will reflect the individual merits of each beer. Though it may appear that we are judging apples and oranges collectively, the resulting winner of said category will stand out as a definitive beer in its style parameters.
The competition organizers promise a professionally run competition with feedback for all entries. Brewers will receive comments on their beers from official BJCP score sheets filled out by judges recognized by the BJCP, professional brewers and novice judges under the direction of experienced BJCP judges, who have volunteered their valuable time. In addition to the first place winners in the nine distinct categories, a “Best of Show” winner will be awarded by a special judging panel.
- Anyone may enter. All entries must be brewed at home, not in a commercial operation.
- If you are entering a beer for the first time ever in a competition, please make a note on the entry form to inform us.
- $10 Per Entry – All entry fees are donated to the Easton Volunteer Fire Department. Please include cash for each entry upon submission at a drop-off point (place in a sealed envelope rubber banded to a bottle). Please follow these instructions, the drop-off locations only handle your entry, they are not responsible for making change.
- Brewers are encouraged to enter more than one beer. There is no limit on the number of entries.
- A bottle label form must accompany each bottle
Brewers must submit three bottles for each entry. Two may be entered, but the brewer must accept that he may not have an entry for “Best of Show” if a second bottle is needed for regular judging.
Bottles should be 10-22 oz with all labels removed. Caps must be plain or blacked out. ***REVISED*** Swing-top or corked bottles will be accepted! NO BOTTLES WILL BE RETURNED!
The deadline for entries is Saturday, September 16, 2017. Beers received after this will not be judged nor returned to the brewer, There will be NO EXCEPTIONS, thank you in advance for you donation.
- Bottle label forms must be attached to each bottle with a rubber band. NO TAPE please.
- A Bottle Label Must be Filled Out Completely, Noting the Style to be Judged
- Recipes are not necessary, but the competition organizers reserve the right to request a recipe after the competition.
- Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope to ensure rapid return of judging results.
- Awards not given to the recipients at the Easton Beer Fest will be mailed.
- Categories will be collapsed or expanded as necessary with determinations decided by the competition organizers. See above.
- We will be using BJCP style guidelines.
- Entries may be sent or dropped off at multiple locations. See “Getting Your Beer to Us” for information.
Judges and Stewards are needed for the competition. Competitions can only function well with participation of BJCP judges. To ensure a successful event, we will depend on your support.
Judges and Stewards must report to the judging site promptly. Judging will start at a TBA time, Best of Show to follow.
The public is not invited to view the judging, but may attend the awards ceremony at the EASTON BEER FEST on October 7, 2017 (Admission Purchase Required)
Questions? E-mail us at email@example.com
Getting Your Beer to Us
Entries may be sent or dropped off at the locations listed below:
Eastern Shore Brewing – St. Michaels, MD
Washington Street Pub – Easton, MD
Wishing Well Liquors – Easton, MD
Entries may be shipped to Easton Beer Fest, c/o Easton VFD, 315 Aurora Park Drive, Easton, MD 21601. Shipped entries, must be received by Friday, September 15, 2017. Entries should be Packaged Properly by the Entrant and shipped by UPS or FedEx, the USPS does not ship alcohol. We do not accept any responsibilities for damage in shipment or late deliveries.
Awards will awarded to the 1st Place beer in each style. The 1st Place winner will receive an etched Easton Beer Fest Pint Glass, naming the winner’s category “Best IPA” “Best Stout”, etc. All 1st place winners will be entered into Best In Show judging. The 2017 Easton Beer Fest “Best In Show” winner will receive a “Best Homebrew Beer” large etched glass, a pair or 2018 EBF tickets and other homebrew prizes that will be announced in the near future.
The Easton Beer Fest is hosted by the Easton Volunteer Fire Department as a Fundraiser. 100% of the proceeds stay local!!!!